Does your business get in the way of enjoying a much-needed vacation?
If yes, that can change. Now.
One of the reasons that your business interrupts vacation is that preparing your team for your absence might amount to wishful thinking.
By taking some purposeful steps now to train and experiment with the effectiveness of the training (by not going into the office), you and your team can build confidence in your vacation coverage plan.
Consider trying these 5 tips to build the vacation preparedness muscle for you and your team:
1. Outline the critical business owner roles that need to be covered during your planned absence.
2. Identify who on your team has the skill, authorization, and capacity to fill your shoes.
3. Train the team member in person. Record a video of you performing the role. If it would be helpful to the trainee, transcribe the audio recording into a procedure.
4. Take time off or work remotely to test the trainee’s preparedness.
5. Allow plenty of practice opportunities before your vacation.
With some planning, you will build a stronger team and create more bandwidth in your role as an owner.
Where are you heading on your next vacation?
(Featured pic: Flowerbox in the Opera District, Vienna, Austria)